Old 10-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Tomatoes inside potatoes?

writes:
I read something along those lines in a recently published book. It
suggested that a surefire way to grow hard to root roses and other
shrubs was to make a hole in a potato, insert the cutting, and plant it
the package. I tried it with a rose. The rose didn't survive, but at
least I have a nice potato plant.

winng

Winng, I am so sorry, both for the loss of your future rose but for
laughing which I did when I read your message. I absolutely love your
optimism and view on life!!!

Before the death of my youngest son, I always said there is good in
everything . . . if the puppy ran away from home, at least it was before
it was housebroken. g I remember picking up my grandmother to visit us
the day before my husband's September birthday. She had planned to bring
home-grown strawberries for his favorite, strawberry shortcake, but forgot
to get them out of the freezer. About 40 miles into the 130-mile return
trip to our house, she said, "Oh no, I forgot David's strawberries!" So
she wouldn't feel bad (and I didn't want to drive back to get them), I
said, "Well, that's okay, now I won't have to bake shortcake in this heat.
If he has store-bought berries, he can have store-bought shortcake also."
She laughed.

Truthfully, you now have a nice potato plant and will have for many years
in the future if my garden is any indication! If I've learned nothing
else from my garden, it is that once a potato spot, always a potato spot.
No matter how well I think I've dug in the fall, winter and early spring,
there are still 'taters coming up. Right now, in July, I have new potato
sprouts poking their little heads through all over my garden which was
rototilled with a tractor this year. Some will stay where they are, some
are transplanted and some go to the chickens.

Enjoy your potato plant. I wish you much luck with the next rose. It
never worked for me, but my grandfather would put a rose bud upside down
in the soil under a fruit jar and kept it moist for a rose start. YMMV,
but the skill was definitely not inherited by his eldest granddaughter,
drat it all.

Glenna