Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Noydb

Default Getting started with fruit trees and bushes

4) What are the risks of planting fruit trees in the summer? Most of
our nurseries will not be restocking for fall planting and we'd like
to get them in this year. I know we should plant early in the morning
when it's cool.

Sher,
I'd like to suggest waiting until evening to plant. This way they
get a better head start before having to deal with the sun. Another suggest
ion is to keep an eye on the weather and, if possible, plant on the last ni
ce day before a few cloudy / rainy days.

KEEP THEM WATERED. Although they may seem to have a nice root ball, the
truth is that most of the hair roots ... the ones that do the actual
feeding ... will have been damaged or severed. By the end of this season,
the hair roots will have re-established themselves.

Let us know how things turned out, eh?

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)