Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Penny Morgan

Default Earthworms

You must have gotten misinformation or only part of the answer. Earthworms
are a very good soil enhancer. Number 1 - they leave castings (poop) that
is one of the richest fertilizers AND Number 2 - they aerate the soil by
tunneling through and allowing oxygen to plant roots.

Yes, moles eat them, as well as grubs. Very good for us and moles tunnel
and aerate the soil also. The biggest culprit in ruining plants are VOLES
which eat the plant roots and destroy them. Moles are actually beneficial,
but they do leave some tunneling on lawns - not too pretty.

I had some massive tunneling going on last fall when I moved to my new
house, but my cats got at least 3 huge moles and numerous voles. Not a
problem this year.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"NS9G" wrote in message
Anybody see the July 7 article about earthworms in the Wall Street

Journal?
It seems that people are finally learning that worms are not the wonderful
things the worm dealers would have us think.

FACT: Earthworms do not create good soil, they migrate toward good soil.
After finding good soil, they attract moles.
--
73 de Bob NS9G