Old 10-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Little Scooby

Default Holy New Super Pond from Heaven Questions.

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message . ..
Sounds interesting ..................... but ................. the
first wind that comes along will empty your 100 gallon pond in
seconds. You will find that the higher you go the more effect wind or
even algae growing on the nozzle will have on where the water comes
down. Trying to keep it in a pond that small will be the problem, also
how much of that hundred gallons will be displaced by your pumps or be
in the air at the same time. Even small globe fountains can empty a
small pond in the wind.(voice of experience with the globe)
Good luck, but I think it is back to the drawing board for this
one.

Good point. I definately haven't thought of that. Is the wind really
that powerful that it can blow a huge, heavy stream of water by an
entire foot or more? If so, would this piece of art work on calm days
under close supervision (i.e. whenever I am out in the yard doing
yardwork, entertaining guests on a calm day with no wind, etc.)? or
would a tiny little gust of wind throw it all out of the pond?

I guess what I'm asking is how many miles per hour does the wind have
to be blowing in order for it to be strong enough to blow the jet foam
streams of water over a foot or two of distance which would be out of
the pond?

I'm not sure about how many gallons of water would be in the air at
any given time either. I would have to calculate that somehow but I
don't know how. It's starting to sound like I might have to limit
myself to only 1 or 2 of the foam jet fountains in a little 5x4 foot
pond, even then though, the wind may become my worst enemy until I can
build a bigger pond.

What if I just had 1 foam jet in the center of the pond? Would that
work on a windy day? If not, what is the smallest pond I could
purchase that could handle the wind problem? If I went with only 1
jet, the wind could blow the foam jet stream 2 feet in 2 directions
and 2.5 feet in the other two directions before the water would leave
the pond I guess, which leads me to my last question. Say a big 35
mile per hour gust of wind comes by. About how far does it normally
blow a 3 or 4 foot high foam jet stream? 2 feet? 4 feet? 6? Anyone
ever measure? I'm hoping my project isn't going to become a
catastrophe because of this wind issue (Damn Mother Nature!).

-Little Scooby