Old 10-07-2003, 03:56 AM
infoseeker

Default Raccoon Repellent

Long message warning : ] This is so funny, because I posted on
alt.garden.pond.chat about my raccoon problem a few days ago.. First time
I've been on Ngroups in a while. I was perusing the articles there, and
saw - where is everyone?- and it suggested this site, so with contined no
response, I thought I'd check here.

Well, here I am- first looksie, and I see this long thread about raccoons!
My very problem!

Well, there hasn't been any response to my query on alt.garden. so I hunted
around town and found a water garden nursery, and guess what they
suggested -- COYOTE URINE! I paid $17, normally 19. I haven't tried it
yet, because, well, frankly, it is weird. we've had lots of jokes, and I'm
a bit scared of attracting real coyotes (who used to live in this area- &
prob still do a few miles away).

The nursery's other suggestion: get rid of water hyacinth- the only plant
coons are attracted to. So I did an experiment, and last night the raccoons
decimated my bowl with hyacinth in it in the backyard, and swiped a water
lily flower from the wkiskey barrel in front yard, but no other damage.

So, you might also try removing your hyacinths "bobkiely" . I feel better
about the coyote urine now. I guess I'll give it a try and buy some more
fish (the coons had gobbled all my fish and turned over 2 plants in my newly
set up whiskey barrel!) Any tips for leaky barrels besides a stiff ugly
liner? I'll try the mouse traps too.

B-infoseeker