Old 10-07-2003, 09:33 AM

Default is there such a thing as...

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:58:34 +0100, Brian Mitchell
wrote:

~a jam-making machine? (I hope this isn't too OT)
~Where ingredients go in one end and jam comes out the other?
~
~This is needed by single, alien-in-the-kitchen.
~
~Last year I tried making blackberry jam (preserve?), following all
~recipes and instructions **to the letter**.
~
~I still have four impenetrable jars of blackberry toffee and four jars
~of a preserve so fluid you have to hold the bread precisely level in all
~directions.
~
~Now the blackcurrant bushes are sagging under the weight of fruit.
~
~Anyone can see I need help!

I advise buying a jam thermometer. Boil jam till it gets to the
correct temperature and then bottle.

A bit of a bewa I made bramble jelly last year and on the first go
it didn't set well, so I shoved it back in the pan. Turned out the
thermometer I bought registers a slightly lower temperature if it's
not totally submerged (I wasn't making a full batch) so I allowed for
this and it turned out right the second time. I wish I'd bought one
years ago - the wrinkly saucer thing never quite made sense!

Blackberry toffee sounds like a wonderful thing for microwaving and
sticking on ice cream, or using as base for the sauce in a summer
pudding.

--
jane

Mark Twain