Old 10-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Chris Norton

Default is there such a thing as...

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:58:34 +0100, Brian Mitchell
wrote:

a jam-making machine? (I hope this isn't too OT)
Where ingredients go in one end and jam comes out the other?

This is needed by single, alien-in-the-kitchen.

Last year I tried making blackberry jam (preserve?), following all
recipes and instructions **to the letter**.

I still have four impenetrable jars of blackberry toffee and four jars
of a preserve so fluid you have to hold the bread precisely level in all
directions.

Now the blackcurrant bushes are sagging under the weight of fruit.

Anyone can see I need help!

Brian MItchell

Unfortunately Brian, I`ve found it`s all down to practice. Any extra
strawberries we grow (like swmbo does`nt eat em all anyway) are
jammed. NOT by me tho, they all go down the in laws who have been
making jams and marmalades for years. They do a mean marmalades but
only use seville oranges so when they are in season here we have to go
collect about 20 kilos of em. Last a year tho.

The trick I`ve noticed is equal amounts of sugar. And then it really
is down to the timing of the cooking. Test often as directed (cold
plate, wrinkly jam) and once it is as they state then turn off the
heat and get it in jars asap.

It`s an artform in itself is jam making and our Boston Show has a
MASSIVE entrance for all the different jam sections.

Have another go!