Old 10-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Druss

Default Away from kitchen garden in August

"Jake" wrote in message
I'm going to be away from my veggies during the first week in August
and I'm wondering what I should do for best results?

In particular, I have all the usual bean types and some courgettes and
tomatoes. I believe these may stop producing if I allow any "fruits" to
mature while I'm away?

My tentative plan is:

1. Harvest ALL beans and courgettes before leaving even if they're
undersized
2. Give it all a super-duper soaking just before leaving

Suggestions?

Thanks

"Jake" not far from Gloucester

Well I've got several dripper type systems now, some of the ground spikes,
and some smaller dripper taps, both of these could be attached to a largish
resevoir to provide water over a longer timeframe.

What about the auto-watering systems available, timer attached to an outdoor
tap, and run the hose pipe or dripper piping around the plants, expensive
but very effective. Alternatively, do you have a waterbutt high enough up to
use that set with a very slow flow rate, so water would simply dribble out
of it over a long period.

Some of these things will be faily expensive, but stuff like the dribbling
waterbutt are very easy to knock up, and do work pretty well.

Duncan