Old 10-07-2003, 12:09 PM
IceEros IceEros is offline
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

I'm glad that your ammonia problem has been more or less solved. Another good product, natural too for ammonia problem is zeolite. One word of advice regarding ammonia; dont leave it in your pond on "just in case" basis as it may dump the ammonia back into the pond. Once the problem is solved take the zeolite out.
As for the fish leaping out of the water, this is natural and can happen because:
1) Fishes are unhappy with the environment
2) They try to catch bugs flying above the water
3) They are frisky which seems to be your situation considering that you have new babies fish.
Considering that you just had a ammonia problem it may also be a combination of ammonia poisoning (even though the level inside the pond has come back to normal) and the fish being frisky which I hope it is not the case. Keep a close eye on them as they may get a secondary infection due to the high ammonia level you had not long ago.
Goldfish is a hard fish and can bounce back relatively easy from pond problems. So I tend to believe that the leaps are because they are mating in which situation is no need for you to worry.