Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default got gooseberry plant, but when to pick

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Lynda Thornton contains these words:

I personally wouldn't recommend picking when still greenish and firm,
even if they're sizeable berries - I picked some from my bushes a bit
early this year and ended up with a bit of a stomach ache, even though
they'd been cooked for ages before being cooked again in a crumble!

Probably cooked beyond digestion :-) We had fresh gooseberry fool on
Sunday, made with firm green rinsed gooseberries cooked with a little
sugar for about 10 mins till they were soft enough to rub through a
seive; stir in thick custard and cream, and chill.

Janet.

Well perhaps I have a sensitive tummy but I think green gooseberries are
quite well known for causing tummy aches! I didn't have a problem later
on with the riper berries and I ate quite large portions of them!!

Lynda