Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Some One

Default Apple tree getting white patches under the leaves?

Argh!

This sounds like work... : )

Complete newbie to outdoor gardening. Inside we have at least 70+
plants... All they get is water and the occasional fertilizer and
they're all healthy. Doesn't it work that way outdoors too???

I didn't plan on doing any spraying on the tree... maybe once it was
large enough to worry about getting fruit from it. Right now I just
want it to be healthy and grow. I'd pluck off any apples I see started
to keep the nourishment inside the tree.

"Sherwin Dubren" wrote in message
Hi,
You don't mention if you ever spray your tree for insects and

fungus.
You need to be on a regular spray schedule to both keep the tree

healthy
and preserve the apples when they come. Try a general orchard spray
from
someone like Bonide, and stick to a schedule of about every 10-14

days.
Wait for a calm day with no rain in the near forecast. Best

protection
is a face mask with filters and protective clothing. Look into

dormant
oil spraying for next Spring, as well. Don't spray when there are
blossoms on the tree (it will kill all the beneficial bee

pollinators).

Sherwin Dubren
MidFEx

Some One wrote:

Hey all!

We planted a "Red Fall" apple tree (about 6' tall) about a month

ago.
Tree seems healthy, but we recently noticed that the leaves are
starting to curl up and some have white patches. These patches

look
dusty, but aren't. There are also a few leaves that just turn

yellow
and come off the tree VERY easily. Finally, I've also noticed some
leaves have some small rust/brown spots.

We're zone 3A in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

We haven't had much luck finding a decent "plant diseases and

pest"
book or website.

Any idea what is happening and how to deal with it?

Thanks!