Old 10-07-2003, 03:20 PM
peter

Default helping a sickly, spindly Clematis

I have just uncovered a poor, sickly-looking Clematis growing up the
sidewall of my little garden and I hope someone can help me make it
more robust.

The plant has just a single "stem" measuring about one-eighth of an
inch thick running about 9 feet tall. At the top of the plant there
are some flowers and new growth but the lower 9 feet are absolutely
bare.

I am afraid that I do not know what variety it is -- it was there when
I moved in 6 years ago. The location gets about half sun during the
day.

Up until yesterday the 9 feet of stem was mostly covered by a thick
vine. I've torn that away so that the Clematis is fully exposed (a
good thing?).

She looks so frail though that I am concern that it will snap in two
and I'll loose the whole thing.

What should I be doing to try to a) beef up this stem and b) to
promote some foliage along the first 9 feet of stalk?

Many thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Peter Stock