Old 10-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Paul Pipitone

Default [IBC] Fertilization Question and Too Much Rain!

OK, on average it has rained about 1/2" each day for the last 45 days.
During this period we have had only 6 days without rain, and during one 16-
day period it rained every day and I didn't have to water at all. All the
pots are tilted to aid drainage. My soil mix is extremely fee draining and
almost exclusively inorganic, being mostly comprised of 1/8" to 1/4"
Pumice, Lava and, in some cases, a little Akadama or fir bark.

I inject fertilizer into my water source in small amounts so that I
effectively fertilize with each watering. Up to now, the results have been
fantastic. However, with all the rain, I haven't had to water (or
fertilize) very often. During this period I have been supplementing with
weekly fertilizings of full strength Peters 20-20-20 and Schultz 20-30-20.
One week with Peters, and the next with the Schultz. Still, many of my
trees are experiencing mineral deficiencies, presumeably because the
fertilizer is being leached out of the pots almost as soon as it is
applied.

So the question is, how do you horticultural experts out there handle
fertilization when mother nature keeps you Bonsai too well watered. Thanks
in advance. Regards, Paul

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++