Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Jay Chan

Default Need Info on Compost Tea

Yes it works. I give one dose a week to potted dwarf citrus and they
explode in leaves and blooms.

Sound very promising.

A waste of good tea. Better idea would be to dump the solid waste on
the lawn and make a garden.

I find my flower garden and vegetable garden demand a lot more of my
time than my lawn when taking the size of the garden and the lawn into
consideration. I don't think I will expand the size of the garden any
time soon.

- Does it smell just like normal compost piles? BTW, I don't think
normal compost piles stinky at all.

Depends on what is composted

Great. This means I don't need to worry about the smell. I intend to
use the same stuff from my compost piles to make compost tea. If the
stuff isn't stinky in my compost piles, it will not be stinky in the
compost tea (provided that I make the compost tea correctly).

garden, and also apply it in some areas of my lawn to rejuvenate the
grass -- and I intend to apply it every two weeks. Will a 5-gal bucket
be big enough? Do I need a 32-gal container?

Yes, no

I assume you suggest that I only need to use a 5-gal bucket. Thanks.

You dont need an expensive pump, as long as it's not left out for
several days. 5 minutes of dunking and stirring up the bag will be
enough. There's a very good chance debris would quickly clog the
filter, anyhow.

This is new to me. I thought we need to keep pumping air into the mix
in order to get good tea.

I didn't think of the possibility of clogging the filter either. I
wonder how people who use air pump avoid this problem. Thanks for the
warning.

- Can I simply use sugar as the food source for making compost tea
instead of using unsulfured molasses as suggested in a couple sources?
What's so significant about unsulfured molasses anyway? The host in
the TV show "Gardening by the Yard" suggested using sugar.

Sugar will attract predators, and especially ants.

I didn't think of the possibility of attracting ants. I will need to
put a moat around it. Thanks for the warning again.

I will get everything ready today, and hopefully I can get some
compost tea by this Sunday.

Jay Chan