Old 10-07-2003, 07:33 PM
FarmerDill

Default question about seeding fruit trees

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any infromation about seeding and
starting fruit trees from the pits? Specifically peach, apricot and
plum? Thank you for any info or even a good reference to find out more.
--
Christina

It is very easy to do at least in the mid Atlantic US. Just pop the pits into
good soil, I still stick a few in a flower bed from time. They will emerg the
following spring. Note however that any resembalnce between the cultivar from
which the pit was taken and the resulting seedling will be purely coincidental.
Most commercial varieties are either hybrids or "sports" that have been
propogated by grafting. I have gotten lots of cling stone peaches and miniature
fruits from seedlings , some very good others not worth the space, but it is an
interesting adventure.