Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Martin Jensen

Default Getting started with fruit trees and bushes

On 7/9/2003 2:03 PM, john cummins wrote:

5) I'd like to also plant some raspberry bushes. Do they do OK along
a fence, or does that inhibit harvesting the backside of the plants?

Just so you can get around to the other side and in many of the newer
varieties you can mow down the bushes in the fall. With fences that
would not be possible.

Also, how wild can they get? I don't want them sending shoots into my
neighbor's yard.

Depends, I like varieties that spread and fill in their spaces AND that
you can cut down each fall such as Heritage. Other varieties such as
Autumn Bliss will not spread as well.

In general all raspberries spread some are really bad other not as bad.

The Heritage is an everbearing variety that will produce 2 crops a year if they
are cut to the ground in the fall or early spring. This plant spreads by send
roots (suckers) that come up where they may. They would more than likely start
coming up on the other side of your fence, into your neighbors yard. These are
very hard to get rid of once started

I have Lathams and they are a summer bearer or only bear once in the summer. The
new and old canes grow pretty much from the same clump. They can be a little
spreading but nothing like the suckering that Heritage does. I have friend who
really like the Heritage.

Marty
Zone 5

John Cummins