Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Dexter Road

Default Squash Vine Borer

BB wrote in message ...
Two of my vines(one a squash, and one pumpkin) have been sacrificed to
these borers

Has anyone had this problem?

YES!

And how do you prevent it? The wesbites say
to spray insecticides like Sevin etc, does that work?

It does, but BT is the organic control that I prefer. It's a bacteria
that kills some caterpillars. Works on cabbage whites too.
I spray the base of the squash plants. If a bug actually makes it
inside the stem and the plant starts to wilt, I inject some BT into
the stems. Sometimes the plants recover - if I get to the bugs early
enough.

You can get it at many feed/garden stores. Got mine at Ace Hardware in
Oxford.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/bi.../bacteria.html
says that it's hard to control the borers with BT, but if you inject
it into the stem (assuming you can figure out where the borers are) it
seems to work.

http://www.biconet.com/solutionsqs.html#Squash vine borer
recommends nematodes. Never tried them.

Good luck!