Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Spray Cecile Brunner Cecile Brunner (Cl)

dave weil wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:16:35 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Dave,

There's a picture of Cl. Cecile Brunner practically overwhelming a house at
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/climbers/cecile.html

BTW, that same site mentions that this rose is most commonly once-blooming,
but that there are repeat-blooming ones available.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how you would tell if your
climbing CB was remontant or not. I wonder if there's any way to tell
with a starter plant.

Plus, I guess I'm confused by the continual use of the word shrub in
reference to this plant. Radika used it and so did Mr. Barden. I
wouldn't usually use the word shrub in conjunction with a climbing
rose. maybe it's just me.

Dave, this at least I can clarify - as far as my usage is concerned. In
my experience, almost all climbing roses, with some notable exceptions,
can be grown as tall, self-supporting shrubs. They are not climbing
vine-like plants, to my limited imagination, say as a a grape vine is or
a clematis or a jasmine. So, I think of them all as shrubs, and only
distinguished by sizes.

However: Annie Laurie, Renae - I would never think of these as shrubs,
as their canes are absolutely lax, woes is me, for I fo not like to deal
with this kind of growth. OTOH, Renae and Annie Laurie are both
absolutely GORGEOUS, flowers size, shape and colour very similar to CB,
and totally thorn-free. The foliage is a maginificent brilliant green,
glossy as all get out and they have neve heard of diseases, ever. They
would be ideal to grow as weeping trees or as roses that climb trees.

Lady Banks is yet another rose with the same really lax canes and truly
climbing habit, and though it is reported as remontant in Southern
California, in our cooler Northern CA summers, it is pretty much an
once-bloomer. I grow the yellow Lady Banks, and am trying to grow up a
Cedar tree.

In general, it seems to me that most climbing roses are merely very tall
selfsupporting shrubs, and very few are true climbers like a jasmine is;
it is perhaps the limitation imposed on me by my imagination.

Why Paul calls CB a shrub, I am not sure. I can ask him and see what he
has to say.

I sure hope that mine gets that big eventually!

Oh, if your CB is as big as it is in the picutres in 3 years, never fear
- you will have a HUGE rose in a decade.

--
Radika
California