Old 11-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Mandrake, Mandragora Officionalis, Germination

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:15:15 +0100, Druss wrote:

Interesting note about the ortting off and forming a callus. I assume it's
the european mandrka eyou are growing and not the strange American Mandrake
plant which appears to be somewhat different ?

Yep, genu-wine Mandragora officinalis -- though one is different,
has leaves of a grayish-metallic cast. I wish I had a handy
reference to sort out the various names under Mandragora. I think
the single odd plant I have may be the veritable M. officinalis
and the rest (with rumpled green leaves) may be M. vernalis. They
all flower at about the same time.

I don't remember what genus the "American mandrake" is, but it
isn't Mandragora.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada