Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
John Savage

Default Herb sunlight requirements

"Flossie" writes:
I have a lovely indoor herb garden and I am worried that due to winter
arriving it may not be getting the sunlight it needs. Its not an easy
structure to move and besides, the 6 herbs in the garden have grown madly in

During the northern winter, American gardeners wax lyrical about their
individual indoor growth lighting arrangements--many being geared towards
getting tomatoes up and running before the snow melts. My reading is that
you can make the setup as sophisticated or as simple as you like. Just
as satisfactory has been an ordinary fluro tube mounted just above the
seedling tray (or maybe it was two tubes, side by side). The light tube
was hung by ropes, so that its height could be adjusted to keep pace with
the seedlings: it hung so that the bare tube just cleared the tip of the
seedlings by a few mm. (Alternatively, you could remove some padding from
under the seedling tray to lower it as the plants reach the tube. This is
needed because the heat of the tube might damage the tip leaves if they
are allowed to touch it.)

Such an arrangement might be more economical than it appears--the light
might suffice as ambient lighting for your hallway, tv room, etc.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)