Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Don

Default Opium poppies

No-one official should be worried about Papaver Somniferum.

It is far too cold in our climate for any significant level of opiates to be
produced. You have to go to the Mediterranian and further south before the
levels become worth harvesting for opiates.

In more northerly climates this poppy is traditionally grown as a crop for
seed. Again no opiates in the seed. It is because of its use as a food crop
that it is not an offence to cultivate it. But it still remains an offence
(I believe) to possess opium straw (!) whether or not these contain opiates
(daft isn't it) so lets hope no-one digs too deep in my compost heap.

Long may it remain as a garden and vergeside plant. It is pretty and non
invasive. Unlike the horrible and dangerous giant hogweed which is growing
up everywhere. Councils should do something about that and stop fantasising
about papaver somniferum.

regards
Don