Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default What Variety Pea for Tender Greens?

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

I learned to cook with pea greens (especially stir fries) when we lived
up in Madison and I shopped at the Farmer's Market there. Now we have
our own garden again but we don't know which peas are especially good
for nice tender pea greens. Can someone help me out here so I know what
to plant for next year? Thanks!

I believe these would be young plants of snowpeas -- whatever variety is available
very cheaply. Plant thickly, chop them all down when they are a few inches tall.
These would be best planted intrays (think wheat grass) and greenhouse
produced. (You could probably snip the growing tips from snowpeas planted
in the garden, too, but the yeild of greens would be small and would hurt the
yeild of peapods.)

Pea greens are delicious sauteed very quickly with garlic in extremely hot oil.

Here's a webpage I found where you could order wheatgrass, various greens
(including pea greens) or seeds and trays for growing your own pea greens:

https://host.securelook.com/gourmetg/order.shtml

And looking further, info on growing peagreens in trays:

[from http://www.herbalhut.com/fyi/sprouting_seeds.htm]

Soil Method

For growing wheat grass, buckwheat, millet lettuce, sunflower greens, pea greens
and barley grass.

Soak 1¼ lbs seed in water for 12 hours. Fill 17" by 17" wheatgrass tray with ½" soil
or compost. Rinse seed and spread over soil. Sprinkle until soil is moist. Place
another tray inside the tray you planted so that it rests directly on the seed. Water
twice daily. On the third day the sprouts should start to lift the tray. Remove tray and
water as needed. When sprouts reach desired height, snip and enjoy. For small
seed, soak about 1/3 cup seed and transfer to soil after sprouting in jar for 1 to 2
days.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)