Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Martin Newman

Default Thuja Plicata

In the June 2003 edition of Gardeners world magazine, Alan's top hedges, Mr
Titchmarsh suggests the Thuja Plicata as "the hedge we would all love".
However, Mr Titchmarsh does not tell us the variety of this tree, and as
there are many different varieties of this kind, I would be most grateful if
anyone could tell me the variety he is talking about.
We are currently deciding what to plant for our new hedge in our back
garden, and this hedge seems to be most suitable for our needs. The hedge is
described as:

An evergreen that grows to 1.2 - 1.5m (4-5ft) which then stops. It just
needs a few light clips a year and won't go beserk!

We need this hedge as some sort of privacy screening from the neighbourts,
and do not want the hedge to be too high (its difficult to trim!) and
something that is not intrusive on the neighbours and surrounding area.

After some initial research, we found that some varieties included:

Pumila, whipcord, aurea and rogersii.

However, we are still not sure of which type Mr Titchmarsh suggests.

If anyone has a more clear idea of what to suggest, then we would be most
grateful.

Thanks,

Ann and Martin Newman