Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Is it legal? (plant acquisition)

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs)

and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water

lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $

get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about

that
sort of thing, would they?

In addition to ponding, I like to rock climb, a new passion. When I have
gone out doors to new locations, I have often called ahead to local
authorities to see it was an allowed area. Nobody ever had answers. So I
gave up and just started climbing. If it's naughty, they'll tell me, and I
will politely leave.

I would assume that if this "local" pond is not on private property, nobody
is going to bother you if you take a few plants, especially if it is
crowded. And if they do, I bet a simple polite, "I didn't think I was doing
harm." would suffice.

BV.