Old 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Default Is it legal? (plant acquisition)

What's that old saying? "It's easier to receive forgiveness, than seek
permission."

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, it is the other
way around. Human rights invented America." Jimmy Carter

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs)

and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has

more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water

lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the

$
get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I

ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about

that
sort of thing, would they?

In addition to ponding, I like to rock climb, a new passion. When I have
gone out doors to new locations, I have often called ahead to local
authorities to see it was an allowed area. Nobody ever had answers. So I
gave up and just started climbing. If it's naughty, they'll tell me, and I
will politely leave.

I would assume that if this "local" pond is not on private property,

nobody
is going to bother you if you take a few plants, especially if it is
crowded. And if they do, I bet a simple polite, "I didn't think I was

doing
harm." would suffice.

BV.