Old 11-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Is it legal? (plant acquisition)

In any state you're not allowed to take anything from any government owned
pond, park, gameland, etc. This includes flowers, animals, and even sticks
and rocks. This stops people from destroying the environment or making the
"scene" unavailable to others. For instance if you were allowed to take from
parks then you could walk right up to their tulip display and cut them all
down. You're also not allowed to catch anything from a pond and sell it or
any of it's offspring. In many states if not all you can not keep a wild
animal as a pet. So if you catch a turtle you're not allowed to keep it
though you would be allowed to eat it.

However, I often go to my local county pond and take cuttings of pond
plants, get snails, etc. I'm never bothered though I've never seen an
enforcement officer. If you want to go during the wee hours like
7:00-8:00am. GRAB AND RUN.

Sam

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Is it legal to take pond plants from a local pond?

I have a Pickerel weed (given to me by a friend who was thinning theirs)

and
would like more. My local pond has a TON. As a matter of fact, it has more
plant life than it ever has. Starting to look clogged. Tons of water

lilies
as well. Is it illegal to take plants from a pond? Do I have to pay the $

get them at the not so local water nursery?

I don't want to do anything illegal here, so I'm checking. Who would I ask
locally to find out for sure? I'm not sure the police would know about

that
sort of thing, would they?

--
LN in S.NH