Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
animaux

Default Where to buy a LARGE Live Oak?

I have to defend Ted's Trees only because I've had my own garden center where
people would return with perfectly healthy specimens and the death happened
because the plants were not watered properly. Not saying you did this, but I
will say with the many years of growing experience I had, over or under watering
causes ninety percent of the trees to die.

That said, a tree the size you are looking for will be in the 400 dollar range.
The transplanted by tree spade (huge truck costing a hundred thousand dollars)
can move trees the size you describe, but it can cost twenty thousand dollars.

What proof do you have that Ted's Trees "dig up..." trees? Is this from the
wild? Or do they heel their trees in because that would be the correct way to
store large specimens? Those are some pretty big accusations and I'd like to
know what proof you or neighbors have of this happening?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:41:54 -0500, "gologa" wrote:

I want to buy a large (6" or greater diameter) live oak for my S-SW Austin
backyard. Does anyone know where to get one that big, and have it installed.

p.s. - I have heard about very big oaks being moved/transplanted before,
even 16-24 inch and larger diameter ones, but how is this done without
damaging some roots?
And I don't want to deal with Teds Trees again, as they often sell lemons
that die within a year. The survival of one of their trees is a 50/50
proposition, is seems, because they simply dig up sizeable trees to sell at
the lot, and they are not very careful transplanting. I have several
personal and neighbor experiences that will bear witness to this.

Thanks!
gologa