Old 11-07-2003, 05:45 PM
simy1

Default What Variety Pea for Tender Greens?

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in message ...
I learned to cook with pea greens (especially stir fries) when we lived
up in Madison and I shopped at the Farmer's Market there. Now we have
our own garden again but we don't know which peas are especially good
for nice tender pea greens. Can someone help me out here so I know what
to plant for next year? Thanks!

Also, pea greens will come up indoors - the only veggie you can eat
fresh in january and february. I use seedling trays, fill them with
good soil, scatter the peas very thickly, and cover with some more
soil. You can water them soggy and will still come up and be ready in
17-21 days depending on temp (I only have to water twice).
At the end, you are left with a slab of soil, held together by a web
of pea roots, good to go in the compost pile for breakdown.