Old 11-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default bonsai help badly

Got2,
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. If it is indeed a juniper, I think you
may be over watering. Not good. Juniper like dry feet. You only want to
water when the soil gets dry. Use a stick (here we call this method the
persiano-pick), Popsicle will do fine, stick it into the soil between the
edge of the pot and the trunk of your tree at least 3/4s the depth of the
pot. Pull it our daily and rub the dirty end on your forearm. If it's wet
(or beyond damp) DON'T WATER. If it is just damp or dry, WATER.

Let's see if we can figure out the soil. When you water does the water pool
on top, and then slowly seep into the pot eventually draining out the
bottom? Or, does it run through the pot and drain out almost as fast as you
put it on?

Peat moss?? You sure? Some bonsai soils are good for growing moss on, some
are not. Moss is usually just for looks and can cause watering problems, or
moisture retention problems with some soils/trees. Can you pull up a chunk?
Does it have roots, or does it look like it's just sitting there? Check it
out if you want.

Now the bad news. Think Christmas tree. Think how long it stays green
after it's been chopped down, shipped, and stuck in an unfriendly
environment. It's still beyond saving.

Check the cambium (scratch test) and get back to us. Oh, how about giving
me a real name to work with.

Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Got2Drink" wrote:

It's actually a conifer, im not sure what type of soil it is, basically

the
pot is fairly large, about the size of a plate, about 4 or 5 inches high.
the soil also some sort of peat moss on top. i think its a juniper tree.
actually it has been looking better but i havent rubbed the bark.