Old 11-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Plant patents

Recently I've seen a couple of phals with "vegetative propagation
prohibited" printed on the name tag. I know that some major corporations
are filing for plant patents. I hear about this more when they have
"Genetically altered Corn" or other major cash crops.

I'd like to have a discussion here about plant patents and orchids.

Is it fair that I spend my time and selective breeding to create a navy blue
phalanopsis and get all kinds of awards on it only to sell a clone of it and
have someone else make a thousand copies?

If I pay my good money for a plant don't I have some rights to make copies
of it? What if it sends out a keiki on its own? Do I have to destroy that
keiki? Would I go to jail if I sell that keiki?

I'm sure there are some opinions on this topic out there in Orchid Land.

Good Growing,
Gene