Old 11-07-2003, 11:26 PM
simy1

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

"NS9G" wrote in message news:ymzPa.34891$Ph3.2981@sccrnsc04...
"Stephen Younge" wrote in message
news:4HrOa.2327$OZ2.943@rwcrnsc54...
At the beginning of this season, I purchased some "Sta-Green Tomato &
Vegetable Food", 12-10-5. I was wondering if this would be suitable for my
tomatoes, some of which are in 20" pots and some of which are in the

ground.
I used the recommended amount at planting time (late May), and I'm getting
ready to add a little more in the next few days.

12-10-5 is wrong for maters. 5-20-20 is more like it. Miracle Grow is fine
at first to get the plants started. After that, they need very little
nitrogen. Vigaro would be fine if it is not heavy on nitrogen. It has a lot
of trace minerals.

Correct. You get that profile with wood chips, with some wood ash
(which will contribute Ca and K in much higher doses than Tums) thrown
in in for pH balancing and some manure or kitchen scraps for N.
Basically, what I do. I don't know what BER is.