Old 11-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Plant patents

I read the situation thus: I cannot purposely clone Phal. Summer Beach (Ken
Peterson x Mama Cass), which I own and is patented by another. But if a
keike forms naturally I will be free to do with it what I choose, including
placing it on the sale table at a meeting.

Also, provided that Ken Peterson and Mama Cass are not somehow protected, I
see no reason why I could not cross them. After all, I'm sure the recipe
for Pepperidge Farms Sausalito cookies is protected, but nothing says that I
can't take flour, eggs, Macadamia nuts, giant milk chocolate chips, etc, and
make my own, which, by the way, are far better than the Pepperidge Farms
variety. Now I'm hungry. VBS

Diana