Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Andy

Default Rats in Compost Bin

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:47:57 +0100, "Andrew Wells"
wrote:

We've got rat(s) in our compost bin (wooden "beehive" sort, with gaps
between
the sections and at the bottom that I can well believe are big enough for a
rat to squeeze through). The council sent someone round today to put down
bait, but:
- is there anything I can do to stop them coming back?

Don't put cooked food or meat scraps in.

- will the worms in there be okay?

Probably. Unless they're scared of rats.

- is there any danger of the rat(s) dying in there?

Maybe. Either pull 'em out (plastic bag in dustbin) or let 'em rot
(a bit smelly.)

- will the compost still be okay to use?

Your plants will be OK but rats carry unpleasant diseases. If you're
paranoid wear gloves and just use it on ornamentals.

I'd check it for any baby rats if I was you. Watering might
discourage them from nesting in there.

Andy