Old 12-07-2003, 01:08 AM
---Pete---

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:39:34 GMT, Brian wrote:
There is a mis- understanding. The poster said about calcium chloride
which they use to melt ice on the road. It is not rock salt (sodium
chloride) The calcium chloride it usually small round white balls. It is
usually sold to be yard and concrete safe, unlike road salt. I may be
wrong but pure calcium chloride contains no salt like road salt.

-----
Good points Brian. I did some searching and found 2 good articles
on the topic of "Road Salts". Calcium Chloride and Sodium Chloride
are both considered as road salts. Sodium Chloride would definitely
not be good for use in the garden and Calcium Chloride use in the
garden would be questionable.

Personally, I think egg shells or egg shell water is safest way to go.
I put all my eggshells in my compost bin and use that to amend
the soil.

To learn more about Calcium Chloride and
road salts, here's 2 good articles

Road Salt Named Toxic to Environment...
http://perc.ca/PEN/2002-02/s-boddy.html

Road Salt -- What is it?