Old 23-01-2003, 03:18 PM
simy1

Default Pear Tree Death

"The Ranger" wrote in message ...
My pear tree died a very painful and messy death -- so says the nursery I
brought some of the curled leaves and dried twigs to for examination. He
labeled the problem, fire blight. He, unfortunately, was unable to provide
much of anything else in the way of help, though, like aside from removing
the dead tree, how much of the soil should remain behind, how should I go
about preparing the soil for another sapling, how long I should allow the
ground to remain free of any future saplings, etc.

I'd like to plant another bareroot sapling in this area but not at the cost
of the tree.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Many thanks

The Ranger

Magness and Potomac varieties are fireblight resistant. There may be
more. Two of my three favorite apples (Enterprise and Liberty) are
resistant as well.