Old 12-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Default leaf flop on phal

Janet,

One other thing.....keep the water out of the crown when it's in this
condition. My personal belief is that phals are more susceptable to crown
rot when these leaves flop over. The water can't evaporate when it gets in
the fold and bacteria and other nasties start growing.

Good Growing,
Gene

"test" wrote in message
In article ink.net,
"Gene Schurg" wrote:

Janet,

I see this all the time on Phals and other orchids that put out a burst

of
growth. This is the time of year where some of these plants grow really
fast but the new growth isn't turgid enough to hold itself up.

Be careful with it at this point because it's tender and subject to

damage
by clumsy gardeners, curious pets, and hungry insects.

I have been successful with putting a small bamboo stake in the pot near

the
floppy growth and lean the leaf against the stake. This gives it a bit

of
support until the leaf matures. BE CAREFUL....you can damage the leaf

if
you handle it too much.

Left alone it will mature and probably look great but sometimes these

fast
growing leaved get cockeyed on the plant and look a bit funny. That's

why I
like to encourage them to grow the way I want them to grow. I'm so

picky!

Good Growing,
Gene

i thought it might be that; i've got it hooked with a tie tape to the
stake for the flower spike, so we'll see what happens. i don't mind if
it looks funny, as long as it stays healthy. :-)

--j_a