Old 12-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Allegra

Default Hunter Rugossa w/ blackspot help please

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message

[major snippage here because I have no clue about Rugosas or what Allegra

is
talking about, sigh]

Hello Anne Lurie,

oh dear! here you have a bit of a reference

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/r/rosrug/rosrug1.html

This is a good site and if you feel like filing this for
future reference the next time you are going to the
Library check out Rosa Rugosa by Suzy Verrier.
It is not as many people thinks the "ultimate" or
even the "definite" book on rugosas, but it has some
very valuable information and the photos are just
enough to enable those who are willing to try rugosas.

Yes!!! I really felt like an idiot while trying to explain to my hubby

that
I had a use for all the newspapers that were stacking up. (And, believe

me,
if you get the Wall Street Journal plus local paper, you're talking about

*serious* amount of newsprint every week!)

In some circles this is a modified version of what is
called a lasagna bed. The idea is two fold: recycling
the paper and smothered the weeds while creating
a barrier between the under foliage surface otherwise
known as the landing platform for those pesky spores.

Make sure that you water really to capacity before
laying the newspapers to aid the decomposition. If
any water sits on the surface, poke a couple of holes
and that will take care of it.

Nice to see more than one way to skin a fungus, isn't it?

Allegra