Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Noydb

Default Good tomato fertilizer?

AT wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:23:28 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

"Sta-Green Tomato &
Vegetable Food", 12-10-5.

Abstract: A market exists for organically grown, fresh- and
processing-market tomatoes. Although information
on conventional tomato practices is available from many sources,
comprehensive information on organic
cultivation practices is difficult to find. Organic tomato production
differs from conventional production
primarily in soil fertility, weed, insect, and disease management.
These are the focus of this publication, with
special emphasis on fresh market tomatoes.
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/tomato.pdf

Interesting to me is this:
"Researchers in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina investigated a
vegetable production system using winter cover crops and various rates of
nitrogen over a four year period. In all locations, cover crops produced
higher yields and better quality tomatoes and other vegetables than applied
nitrogen."

This would seem to conflict with the "any form of N is fine" approach.
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)