Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Joe D

Default Where to buy a LARGE Live Oak?

gologa wrote:
I want to buy a large (6" or greater diameter) live oak for my S-SW Austin
backyard. Does anyone know where to get one that big, and have it installed.

p.s. - I have heard about very big oaks being moved/transplanted before,
even 16-24 inch and larger diameter ones, but how is this done without
damaging some roots?

It's usually never worth it to transplant a large tree. Sure, you get the
immediate shade, but the tree itself will almost never recover from the
shock, assuming it lives.

You'll be better off getting a smaller tree and just waiting for it to grow.
In a few years, you'll have something much larger than any tree that you
transplant.

Joe D
--
Don't EVER give your wallet to a stranger.