Old 12-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Noydb

Default garden police gone wild?

Cereoid-UR12yo wrote:

The real problem is neighbors not being good neighbors.

If one was willing to help out a fellow neighbor by volunteering to mow
their lawn while they have their own mowers out, the neighborhood would be
a more peaceful and harmonious place.

Amen!
I have a single female living next to me whose job takes her out of town a
lot ... so much so that her back lawn (fertilized with pit bull poop) had
gone well past 18" and her front yard was well over 12". When I finally got
a chance to talk to her I pointed out that her yard looked like the house
was abandoned and that I would be willing to mow the lawn in exchange for
the clippings in order to keep from living next to a house that looked
abandoned. She looked distressed for a moment, mentioned that she had hired
some men to mow the lawn who hadn't yet showed up, and then realized that I
was offering her a way out of her lawn problem. She then objected that the
dog would be a problem. At that, I called her dog away from her side to
mine. The dog sat down against the fence and waited for her ear-scratch.

I've been feeding that hound treats since it was a puppy. There aint no way
I'm going to have a hostile pit bull just a short chain link fence away. I
slap-box that dog and she has never done anything more than take my hand in
her mouth nor will she ... she has no one else to play with.

Ditto for the German Shepherd on the other side of my yard. Unfortunately,
its owner realized what I was doing and has kept the dog inside for the
past several months so now the dog and I are not on as good of terms as
previously. Again ... that's too big of a dog to have just a short fence
away. Poops D-cell batteries, too and the owner, a cop, does a lousy job of
keeping the manure up.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)