Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 AM
John DeBoo

Default Apricot seedling

Pat Meadows wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:27:12 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

Not trying to be a smart ass but, since it would seem that such
trees start from a pit somplace, so whats the problem? Are they a
weaker tree, and if so then where does a stronger one come from? I
would think for example that a pit from Apricot variety 'A' would
in-fact produce a tree of Apricot variety 'A' as opposed to variety
'B' or 'C' etc.

Well, it would (barring hybridization - I don't know if any
fruit trees are hybrids or not). Hybrid seeds will not
'come true' - the child plants may or may not resemble the
parent plants.

In what sense? Certainly they will retain the basic qualities of a
Apricot as opposed to a Peach or Lemon (for example). Or is this
where goos juicy vs lousy fruit might come to play?

Most fruit trees are GRAFTED: a top from one type is
grafted onto roots from another type.

Really - I had no idea they were derived this way. Thanx for the
explanation.