Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Apple tree getting white patches under the leaves?

Hi Pam,
The reason I referred the party to the Ortho book was twofold. One,
it
has some very nice pictures of attacked trees, which help to identify
what
is causing the problem. Two, I happen to have that book in my house and
am familiar with it. Yes, there are other references, but I wanted to
get
this person off the starting line.

It is a sad fact of life that the most tasteful apples do not have
disease
resistance built in. Maybe in the process of developing these disease
resistant
apples destroys some of the flavor. As I mentioned before,
I grow Williams Pride (a disease resistant apple) which is not a
bad tasting apple, but it doesn't have the full flavor of one of my
heritage apples, Hudsons Golden Gem.

Here in the Midwest (and perhaps elsewhere),
we have a big problem with codling moths and apple maggots. I tried
spraying
with Rotenone, which is made from all natural ingredients.
Unfortunately, it did not do the job to stop these pests,
plus it kept clogging up my sprayer. To me it is a question of
either very tasteful apples, or going the organic/natural resistant
path.

Sherwin Dubren

Pam wrote:

I am an organic gardener, period. I am also a horticultural consultant and make
my living, in part, by diagnosing and recommending treatment for plant diseases
and insect problems. My objection with using Ortho publications is that they
offer no alternative controls other than Ortho products, which, by and large, tip
towards the toxic end of the pesticide protocol. I promote IPM, which encourages
tolerance first and formost, then treatment via the least invasive measures that
prove effective. Jumping immediately onto the Ortho bandwagon overlooks scores of
other possible, less toxic options and is often unnecessary.

FWIW, there are many apple varieties which are very disease resistant as well as
delightfully edible - one's choices are not restricted to either constant
spraying or tasteless apples.

pam - gardengal

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

I take it you are an organic fruit grower. There are several in my
fruit
growing club, and whenever I visit their places, I see loads of attacked
apples. There are some varieties which are somewhat disease resistant,
like the Williams Pride I grow, but the really good tasting apples are
not
of this type. I have no quams about spraying, but naturally one has to
take precautions to protect yourself. These chemicals break down with
time, and besides I do a careful job of washing the fruit before eating.

Sherwin

Pam wrote:

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

Forgot to mention,

Ortho makes a good book on plant diseases for the home garden,
which includes fruit trees.

Only good if you buy into Ortho's product philosophy. The AHS and Rodale
publish far superior disease diagnostic books for the home gardener without
the pesticide marketing angle. Or refer to your own country extension
office for disease information and treatment recommendations.

pam - gardengal