Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 AM
JNJ

Default Moving a bleeding heart

I'm very new at gardening. I started with a small patch in the front of my
house a couple of years ago. Last year I worked on starting my back

garden.
Since then, I've realized I should have my bleeding heart where my

coreopsis
is and vice versa. Neither does it's best where it is. My bleeding heart

is
done blooming (I'm zone 5) and my coreopsis hasn't started yet (not enough
sun where it is). Can I swap these out now, or do I have to wait til
fall/early spring? I'd hate to miss the season for the coreopsis, but

don't
want to hurt my bleeding heart.

Right now my bleeding heart is in a whiskey barrell where it's been for 3
seasons now. During the spring it is in full sun starting about 11am and
all the way into the evening -- by late spring, this becomes dappled shade.

This year has been a monumental year for the plant -- it's grown absolutely
huge. We'll be moving it to a shaded walkway alongside the house.

The way I intend to do this is to give it a little bit longer to start
withering at which point I'll pretty much transplant the entire barrell's
worth of soil & plant -- I'm just going to dig a hole in the new bed that is
the size of the barrell and fill it in. By rights this will be just about
late August, after the worst of the summer heat is over.

James