Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Den. pendulum

Another option would be to get a slab of cork, or other untreated wood.
Drill two small holes about 1/2 inch apart. Make a small wad of long fibre
moss. Thread a piece of thin wire or fishing line (monofilament) through
the holes so that a big loop is on the front of the slab. I like fishing
line because it dissapears when it's pulled tight.

Put the moss wad on the board under the loop then place the barerooted
dendrobium on top and pull the loop tight from behind the board. Tie the
wire or fishing line tight.

OK Gene, I'm paying attention. I have cork on order and am about to mount my first dend. after I clean up the roots and place it on the cork, put moss over it and secure? does it matter how much moss and is there a best place to secure the wire to the plant. this sounds like a much better method for dends rather than having them propped because they fall over all the time

Diane

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message rthlink.net...
Gerard,

I can't speak specifically for that variety since I don't have it in my
collection.

I do have other pendant Dendrobium species. First you could put a hook on
the bottom of the basket and just hang it on a wall the plant will gradually
hang lower as the canes grow out.

Another option would be to get a slab of cork, or other untreated wood.
Drill two small holes about 1/2 inch apart. Make a small wad of long fibre
moss. Thread a piece of thin wire or fishing line (monofilament) through
the holes so that a big loop is on the front of the slab. I like fishing
line because it dissapears when it's pulled tight.

Put the moss wad on the board under the loop then place the barerooted
dendrobium on top and pull the loop tight from behind the board. Tie the
wire or fishing line tight.

One final option would be just to hang the basket from a hook and eventually
the growths will get heavy and hang down. I have a Den sulawensience that
is growing in a 4 inch pot. I just sat the pot in a vanda basket. As the
canes get long and heavy I take a twist tie and lash it to one of the wire
hanger legs so it sticks out over the edge of the basket.

You have lots of choices. It only depends on how you want to care for the
plant.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Gerard-P" wrote in message
Hi all,

Early this year I bought a Dendrobium Pendulum

(three in fact) in a plastic basket, standing upright.

They should hang down of course but I have a

problem finding the right way to pot or attach them.

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gerard