Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Water pH

Anita Hawkins wrote:

snip

Another possibility is that mugos, in my brief experience, and many
friends' reported losses, really dislike simultaneous root and top
work. Try doing only one "half" each year, and see if that less
cavalier approach helps!

snip

Grow well,
Anita

That's been my experience, for sure. I have had three mugo pines, all of them lost
because of inexperience, probably doing just what Anita suggests--working on top
and bottom at the same time.

It's best to learn from the tree what it likes best so that it can live healthy.
Advice from other who have worked on the same species is good too. Rushing things
when they shouldn't be rushed is not good. As with anything else in life, timing
is everything. On the other hand, waiting too long for fear of failure isn't good
either. I have learned a good lesson from my trees--that finding a good balance
between holding back and moving ahead is a very good thing.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a
Sunset 37