Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Artificial lighting

Jim Lewis wrote:

BIG snip

Even trees that survive indoors (Serissa, ficus,
etc.) do not really like it. Indoors is not the native habitat
of any tree or shrub. Some can survive, most cannot. Some die
almost immediately, others decline over a period of years. The
result is the same.

A physiological fact of life (or death).

As a good example, I have two chinese elms, one of which I acquired this year. The
other I've had for a couple of years. I had it indoors the winter before last. It
survived but did not thrive. It put out half-hearted leggy shoots and had large
leaves. Last winter I kept it outdoors with the other hardy trees. The difference
is astonishing. It has small leaves, short internodes, and was strong enough to
withstand a black fungus infection. It's leafing back nicely now. I'll never keep
these trees indoors after seeing the difference. Whatever I gained by having this
tree outdoors during the growing season I lost indoors over the winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a
Sunset 37