Old 12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Doug

Default Agastache: The worst weed in my garden!

Last year I started a whole bunch of perennials from seed for a
butterfly/hummingbird garden. Agastache foeniculum ("Blue Spike" anise
hyssop) was one of them. The plants grew well and bloomed that first year. I
wasn't that crazy about the light lavender color so I've been wondering if I
want to keep them.

WELL, let me tell you something- I made the mistake of letting these
things go to seed and now they're popping up all over the place! They are,
by far, the worst offender in my garden. Now I wonder if I'll ever get them
all out!

In all of my research I don't remember seeing any mention of how
invasive the seedlings can be. There's even an article about them in the
June 2003 issue of "Garden Gate" magazine and it doesn't mention their
prolific self-seeding. It says to propagate them by division!

I have half a mind to rip out the original plants (which are 4 feet tall
this year!) just because I'm afraid I'll miss dead-heading one of the flower
stalks before it spreads its seeds to my neighbor's garden.

Well, I just wanted to get that out of my system.

Doug in NJ.