Old 12-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Intro & Stuff

Welcome Kitsune Miko.

Strange,
I too enjoy the change, of the Hackberries more than
those of southern Chinese elms.Especially since I
have to pick the leaves off,of the S.C.elms in order
to get the jade green new growth.

As to soils.
Long ago I settled on a simple mix of sifted crushed red
brick,sifted crushed silica sand and compost/manure.
I have no complaints thus far,and full sun placement with
good spacing for those that can handle it has left me
relatively pest or disease free.

Discussions come and go on Serissa's and if they belong
in sub-tropical or warm Temperate zones,but here in the
Tropics,they grow like weeds.

Growing down here is easier in large plastic ends of barrels
than in our ever present sticky clay soils [called sapote].
Actually fukien teas will die in our clay earth and really do best
in artificial mixes.

My latest batch of Black pines from seed is doing well.Slowly
acclimating to sun and no cold.I enjoy starting trees from seed.
A tropical climate allows for rapid growth and seeds are a
great way to start a Bonsai collection.
To All,
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean,
Sempre Spring Zone.]

AND my Tamarind is carrying pods,this is my fourth batch,
but normally as a pod.