Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 PM
M. Tiefert

Default cucumbers inside cages

In article EjVPa.43807$Ph3.3366@sccrnsc04, "Angi" wrote:
I am growing cucumbers inside cages made from rewire (some left-over tomato
cages) to conserve garden space. My concern is whether the vines are
sufficiently supported by the cucumber plants' tendrils only during
production or if the vines need additional support. The cages are 5 feet
tall and 2.5 feet wide. I'm hoping each runner will grow over the cage and
grow back towards the ground helping secure the vines. I have been feeding
the individual runners up inside the cage and the tendrils then twist on the
wire supporting the vines. Advice will be greatly appreciated so if
necessary, I'll have time to tie the vines as the plants are still in the
blossoming stage.

It probably depends on conditions such as how healthy the plants are and
if you have a lot of wind. Just watch your plants - they'll 'tell' you
if they need support.

cheers,

Marj

* * *