Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
D H

Default Chipmunks

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
I have yet to see chipmunks cause any real damage in a yard. They
generally burrow in bed areas and even when they burrow a hole in a
lawn, they make a clean small opening and even transport the material
away. The grass continues to grow around it fine and the hole is
hardly visible. I've had them in my acre of property for 7 years
without any problems.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between a rat and a
chipmunk. Most of us learn to appreciate the native wildlife and try
to coexist with it instead of trying to exterminate everything in
sight. Must make you feel like a real man killing critters while
playing GI Joe.

You don't seem to know the difference between "playing GI Joe" and
protecting your yard and home. Chipmunks can do tremendous and serious
damage if left to dig all they want. They do NOT make only small holes. They
can make a hole large enough to get hurt stepping into it. In the process of
their digging, they also leave all these burrows behind for other pests (for
example, yellow jackets) to nest in. They will also be under the footer of
your house if given enough opportunity.
I have seen each of these things firsthand, and I DO know the difference
between a chipmunk and a rat. If you don't mind having them in your yard,
that's great. Enjoy them all you want to. But don't come off like some
self-righteous, better-than-others-because-you-don't-exterminate-pests
nature lover. I love nature every bit as much as you do (maybe more?) but I
know how to manage balance and it does NOT include giving over MY home to
pests. I provide for wildlife in APPROPRIATE places on my land, but _I_
determine where that is.
More power to the one trying to limit his losses and protect his land.
He is doing nothing wrong, and he is not "playing GI Joe."
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.